Easy Optavia Egg Roll in a Bowl
Looking for a quick and easy meal? This Optavia egg roll in a bowl is perfect! With only 5 ingredients, it’s simple to make and doesn’t require any shredding. Plus, it’s got delicious and healthy foods so your whole fmily will love it!. You can have this meal on the table in less than 20 minutes. So, what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today!
WHAT IS THE EGG ROLL IN A BOWL?
This is one of the most popular Asian-style egg roll recipes in the Optavia world. But what exactly is it? Let’s give you a simple answer. It’s like an inside out egg roll Optavia clients have created to make it tasty!
An egg roll in a bowl is a deconstructed egg roll. It is all of the delicious parts of an egg roll – minus the need to bake egg roll wrappers. Egg rolls typically contain some combination of cabbage, carrots, pork, beef, or shrimp. They are also frequently served with dipping sauces like soy sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
Egg rolls in a bowl are made by stir-frying these same ingredients until they are cooked through. It’s one of our favorite cabbage stir-fry recipes.
This Optavia lean and green egg roll in a bowl is a complete meal. No side dish is necessary. What we love is it’s a one skillet meal and our approach takes out a lot of the prep you may expect from an Asian egg roll.
One Pan Meal For Busy People
Here’s what we think makes this protein stir-fried meal dinner perfection: It’s a one pan dinner! You can make this entire low carb, lean and green approved meal in one skillet. Isn’t it cool how you can take a restaurant appetizer and turn it into a full-blown lean and green that your whole family will like and won’t mess with your weight loss goals.
OPTAVIA EGG ROLL IN A BOWL – Lean and Green Style
It’s easy to add this low-carb egg roll bowl to your dinner rotation. Remember it’s a complete lean and green or low carb diet recipe.
Also, there are a lot of other sites offering “crack slaw recipe” ideas out there but don’t be confused. Most of them don’t follow the lean and green or healthy fat parameters. While most lean and green recipes work with keto recipes, many keto recipes don’t work with lean and green.
That’s why when we found this deconstructed egg roll bowl recipe we wanted to share it. We want you to have the right way of making this awesome meal. It may not be a crack slaw recipe but you are going to love it!
WHAT DO I NEED? – OPTAVIA APPROVED INGREDIENTS
Okay here’s all you need to make the Optavia egg roll in a bowl recipe. There are a couple options we’ll share at the end butfor our lean and green egg roll in a bowl we used:
- One and a half pounds of ground chicken. There are a lot of ground turkey recipes for this meal. We’re just bigger fans of this as a chicken cabbage stir fry recipe.
- Twelve ounces of shredded cabbage. Some people use a coleslaw mix. Here’s the issue with a bag coleslaw mix on your lean and green journey. It’s likely your coleslaw mix will include carrots which are not approved on the 5&1 journey. That’s another reason we don’t use the typical keto crack slaw recipe ideas out there.
- Toasted sesame oil. We use a really small amount but it adds such a great flavor. No need for apple cider or white wine vinegar. Keeping it simple is where the magic comes from here!
- You can use soy sauce but we use Braggs liquid aminos. Just as tasty as soy sauce but has less sodium!
- Minced garlic. We use quite a bit of garlic and no we don’t mince it ourselves. Always fans of store bought garlic that’s minced!
- Minced ginger or ginger paste. Again we do this our way which is to buy the ginger already in the bottle and just squeeze it out. But you make your Optavia lean and green egg roll in a bowl with your style. For us, it’s about simplicity and squeezing keeps it that way!
- Green onions for chives. These are actually toppers and optional. Our son loves onions and chives are better options and more low-carb than any other kind.
- Everything seasoning. Ever had an everything bagel? Wait don’t answer cause that’s deffinitely not Optavia approved. But if you had, you would know about the “Everything” seasoning. You can top this lean and green egg roll in a bowl with a dash of this. Please know we didn’t include it in the “lean and green” part of this dish.
How To Make Egg Roll in a Bowl | The Video
We made this really quick video for you to see how simple it is to make Optavia egg roll in a bowl recipe. We’ll give full details below.
How to Make the Lean and Green Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe – Step By Step
1 – Make Your inside out egg roll Optavia Sauce
In a small bowl, add sesame oil, garlic, and Brags Aminos or soy sauce. You’ll also add your ginger to the bowl. Use a whisk and mix until well combined. Set aside.
2 – Cook Your Protein
In a large skillet, cook the protein of your choice until it’s fully cooked. For poultry, done is 165 degrees.
3 – Add The Slaw Recipe
See how we did that? Our simple slaw recipe is just a bag of 12 ounces of pre-shredded cabbage. If you’re like me you’re wishing there was more to this than cabbage and a little sesame oil. Trust me, you don’t need complex stir fry recipes for this to be amazing.
A quick note: It may feel like you’re about to run out of room in the skillet. But don’t worry, this will cook down just like spinach does in your other stir fry recipes.
4 – Add the Sauce
After the cabbage has cooked down but is still crisp, add the sauce mixture you made earlier. It may need to be whisked briefly. Stir the sauce into the skillet until everything is well combined.
5 – Portion out your lean and green egg roll in a bowl
This recipe serves three people. Dish out 1/3 and place your cooked lean and green egg roll in a bowl. Top with 1/3 chives and sprinkle with a dash of the “everything” seasoning.
Add some spice with a bit of Sriracha sauce to top this off!
6 – Enjoy
This is a family favorite. There are some foods that our boys don’t enjoy eating with us on the journey. They love all the foods in this meal. So make it for the whole family!
Protein Substitutes and Lean Options
Not everyone loves ground chicken recipes just like we aren’t huge fans of ground turkey recipes. Here’s a couple ideas
- Ground Beef. As long as it’s extra lean, you’ll be able to substitute ground beef. If you don’t adjust the fat content in the oil amounts, ground beef will make this more of a keto egg roll than a lean and green so be careful.
- Pork can be substituted as well. Just be sure it’s ground up lean pork with no extra fat.
- We aren’t tofu fans but you could substitute tofu if you’re looking to make this a vegetarian dish.
- Ground Turkey. We’ve already said it but we know someone will call us out on it if we don’t say, “Yes. You can use turkey too.”
Best Lean and Green Chicken Wrap
Teriyaki Chicken and Miracle Rice
Chicken Poblano Stuffed Peppers
Optavia Egg Roll in a bowl Recipe
- 1.5 lbs ground chicken
- 12 oz Cabbage shredded
- 1/3 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil toasted
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chives
- Add oil, aminos, garlic, ginger to a bowl and whisk well.1/3 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tsp ginger, 4 cloves garlic
- Cook chicken at medium high heat in a large skillet1.5 lbs ground chicken
- Add cabbage and cook down until cooked but still crisp12 oz Cabbage
- add sauce to the chicken and cabbage mixture
- add 1/3 mixture to a serving dish. Top with 1/3 chives and Sriracha if desired.
The name, Optavia egg roll in a bowl recipe is a little deceptive. There’s no egg. Authentic egg roll recipes use egg wrappers that are then deep-fried or baked. Obviously, that doesn’t work for this recipe.
We know a lot of keto folks use our site for tips and recipes. This is a 100% keto friendly recipe.
If you’re using this recipe for a lean and green 5 and 1 egg roll in a bowl, you don’t need any sides. You have a great recipe right here. if you’re in maintenance or just looking for a healthy meal, add the sides of your choice!
Absolutely! Like we talked about above, just make sure you figure in the extra fat and change up the recipe accordingly to ensure you stay in fat burn!